Frequent consumption of noodles and pasta may pose risks to your health and can increase your weight in time. However, if you are a noodle lover, you can try shirataki noodles as a healthier option.
What are Shirataki Noodles?
Konjac noodles or shirataki noodles are often included in keto diets, as it contains a very low amount of carbohydrates. This type of noodles originated from Japan.
It is made using a dietary fiber, glucomannan, that can be found in konjac or elephant yam. To make shirataki noodles, glucomannan is combined with water and lime juice. It is formed into noodles that can be made thin or thick.
Shirataki noodles are also called miracle noodles, as they are low in carbohydrates and calories. The noodles are made of 97% water and 3% glucomannan fiber.
Why Konjac Noodles are Popular
Even though they taste bland, shirataki noodles are a popular ingredient because the noodles can easily absorb spices and juices when cooked.
Health advocates love shirataki noodles because of the following benefits:
According to the food data provided by the United States Department of Agriculture, a ¾ cup of serving of shirataki noodles has the following:
- 10 calories
- 5 grams carbohydrates
- zero fat
Furthermore, shirataki noodles have low-energy density. Eating just a few servings will curb your appetite for long hours.
On the other hand, those who are not used to shirataki noodles in their meals may feel constipated. To avoid this, you may include shirataki noodles slowly in your diet.
Preparing Shirataki Noodles
If it’s your first time trying shirataki noodles, here’s how you can prepare your meal using this ingredient.
- Clean the shirataki noodles with water to remove the fishy smell which is caused by konjac root. It is best to rinse it under running water.
- Put the noodles in a sieve to drain excess water.
- Use a pot to boil water and cook noodles for three minutes. This will remove the bitter taste of the noodles.
- Stir fry the noodles on a frying pan with moderate heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Do not use oil. This will make the noodles lose their moisture content quickly.
- You may add other ingredients such as vegetables and meat depending on your choice.
If you are on a keto, paleo, or vegan diet, shirataki noodles are perfect for you. Eating noodles can be guilt-free and healthy.
Original article posted on fortitudenews.com/health